West Region Junior Coaching
First and foremost, the West Region Junior Coaching programme develops and trains talented West juniors, with the aim of producing future junior international players. The Regional Coaching Programme sits between club level and the National Youth Squad. Scottish Squash manage the programme.
Sessions run weekly through the year at Scotstoun Sports Campus, Glasgow.
Martin Woods, West Region Head Coach runs the programme. Other West Coaches are more than welcome to observe and/or assist.
Development Squad 1
This squad helps West Juniors who have shown ability improve to better compete in the Scottish Squash tournaments.
Juniors in this squad:
- Either aim to play in the West Open League/ Women’s league, or already play in it.
- Enter competitions often
- Train 2 – 4 times per week in their club.
It’s not only potential that is key as a junior competitor, but also enthusiasm. A good attitude on court is equally important, of course. Juniors need to play competitions (SSL Bronze, Silver and Gold events) in order to get into this squad.
This squad trains every Tuesday from 5:00 – 6:30 PM.
Development Squad 2
This squad assists talented West Juniors get into the National Talent Squad, and prepares them for tournaments. Players in this squad:
- Are either in the Talent Squad or aim to get in to it
- Either play in the West Open league, or Women’s League
- Train between 3 – 5 times per week in their club.
This squad trains every Tuesday from 6:30 – 8:00 PM.
Performance Development Squad
This squad prepares West juniors to compete at top junior and senior events, especially representing Scotland. These players:
- Are members of either the National Talent Squad or Academy
- Play in the higher divisions of the West Open League
- Either represent, or aim to represent Scotland at Junior level.
- Train between 4 – 6 days per week.
This squad trains every Tuesday from 5:30 – 7:00 PM.
Contact Martin Woods, West Regional Coach for further information on 07890 778 274 or firstname.lastname@example.org.